Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Another busy day...

Yesterday I had the monthly Knit and Natter at Albany Creek Library. Last weekend I decided that I hadn't had many 'finishes' lately so decided to remedy that by finishing some blankets to take to the K&N. I worked steadily over the weekend and on Monday and Tuesday with a late night on Tuesday...well I went to bed early Wednesday morning actually :-) But I had sewn together the crocheted squares that I had been working on for a while as well as sewn some more donated squares into a blanket.

Some lovely little bags from Carol to hand in ...
My donations ready to be packed in the car. The little bags of buttons were for a member who makes beautiful necklaces out of buttons...


With the donated squares, I sewed them together the way Kaite had suggested. That is, joining the squares' knitted edge to the cast on or cast off edge, which gives more stability to the blanket. I was a bit worried that it might be quite difficult to join in this way because some of the knitted edges of donated squares can be quite stretchy, but my fears were not justified...it fitted together without too much trouble.


The crochet squares came about when a friend gave me a bag of 8 ply yarns in some beautiful bright colours. And finally it was all sewn up :-), ready to hand in. As well as these 2 blankets, I also handed in my op shop bargain baby blanket.



But that's not all...Carol a fellow blogger sent me some beautiful bags that she had made, that I was to pass on to K4BN. Carol also very generously suggested that I might choose one of the bags to give to my little great niece. So lovely of you Carol, and many thanks.


Karen having a closer look at Carol's donations

Peter (whose wife Karen set up K4BN), shows us that he can knit by knitting a few stitches for Julianne

The 2 ladies on the right are teachers...so we often exchange school 'stories' :-)

Donations and the black bags have yarn for us...

I sucumbed and took some yarn to use...

Others checking out the yarn for balls suitable for their projects


We had a busy couple of hours at K&N and I was surprised to see DH at the door of the meeting room of the library...time had passed so quickly but he was there to pick me up and we were both heading off to have lunch with friends at the local tavern in the same suburb as the library where the K&N is held...quite handy!

We used to get Senior's lunches for $10...then they went up to $12. Now they have gone up to $14.95. As a consequence the place isn't as busy as it used to be...




9 comments:

Dorothy said...

Isn't it lovely to have FOs ? The blankets look great and will be sure to keep someone nice and warm. Your K&N must be fun - wish there was something like that here (I think I've said that before). Wow, $14.95 for a seniors meal is a bit 'rich'. I get mine at the club up the road for $9.80 and they're huge. My fave is chicken schnitzel, chips and salad. Mmmm feel like that now but will have to wait till tomorrow night. xox

Marion Starr said...

You are a very busy bee Maria!

Anonymous said...

boy you are always busy Maria.xx

Lynn said...

Your days must be very full and productive Maria! Are you sure you want to call it retirement or should it be a change of vocations? You are an inspiration!

Maria said...

You do such a wonderful job of making all those blankets and sew nice of Carol to send you the bags..
It's really great to see a guy knit..

twinpeakprimitives said...

Dear Maria,

How wonderful souls you are!
I admire your humanity and generosity!

You do a great job, very well done!

With my admiration and best wishes!

Unknown said...

Maria, where do you get the energy and time from? Those busy fingers must be due for a holiday soon. :)
Maa

Naturally Carol said...

Thanks Maria!

kaiteM said...

What a great day out. I'm pleased those squares came together ok for you. You have done so much.