Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sometimes it's the little things...

I enjoy life! But like everyone else I have the dramas and disappointments as well as the 'highs' and joys in my life too. And sometimes it's those 'little things' that can bring me the most joy...

Regular readers would know that the view of the range that I used to see out of my kitchen window has now been blocked. The other day I was sitting here at the PC in the little room next to the kitchen and suddenly I decided to look out of the window right beside the computer...


My view was not completely blocked! I could see the horizon even...I was chuffed. And with the zoom I could see the unit blocks on the old Catholic University site at Mitchelton.


And here's another 'little thing'...

A bit of hyperbole here but I found the message so sweet!

Somehow I kept this card despite moving house a few times. This little man was in my Year 1 class in 1999 and I'm sure that he has found lots of other teachers in his life who inspired him also. I became the victim of workplace bullying in my second last posting...it was items like this that helped me struggle on while that was going on.

Now this next photo just looks like a caladium leaf, because that's what it is of course, lol! But you know me...there's a story here...
This caladium bulb did not re-shoot this last Spring as it would normally do after being dormant for the winter. While helping me in the garden, DH threw the pot and the potting mix inside, in the rubbish bin. (I put spent potting mix usually in the compost bin) When I realised what had happened I asked DH if he could retrieve the bulb from inside the bin...he did and I repotted it. It's taken a few weeks, but at last, a new leaf!
Here we have what appears to be a scruffy little geranium plant...
When we were in Wandoan for the camel races earlier this year, I saw that a piece had been broken off a geranium plant just near the door of the cafe/snack bar in the town. I picked it up, put in my handbag and brought it home :-)  I put it in water to encourage some roots to sprout, which they did, and then planted it. It rewarded me with this flower that actually got bigger as more of the flowerettes opened.

And finally, despite neglect, my pots of petunias near the front steps continue to flower well...nature is sure beautiful at times!

So that's just some of those 'little things' in my life.

6 comments:

Vireya said...

Hooray for the little things that bring a smile to your face and brighten up your day!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It is those wonderful little things that bring warmth and joy to our hearts, which can get trammeled at times.

I am always thankful for those dear little things.

Have a lovely Christmas holiday season.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

An inspiring post Maria.
(You certainly have the magic touch with cuttings and plants)

Dee said...

We recently had to make an sudden unplanned trip to Qld from south west Victoria. Normally I will do a bit of research when travelling but I didnt have time on this occasion. I saw a Sign for Wandoan and wondered why it was familiar. It didnt take long for it to click that it was on your blog. From then on the journey so very similar to yours 2 years ago as our initial destination was Rockhampton with a side trip to Emu Park. Enjoy reading your blog

Lin said...

Lovely post Maria - thank you. Lots of little things to be thankful for. xx

Jindi's Cottage said...

Yay for your view not being completely blocked…your flowers are very pretty...