Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2014

My Day with Lucy...

In a previous post I wrote about my great niece Lucy, asking if she could come over one day and do some craft. We settled on last Tuesday but between Thursday and Tuesday is a long time for a 'nearly 5 years old' person to wait. So I had at least one phone call initiated by Miss Lucy, whereas her long suffering mum put Lucy on the phone to ask whether she could come 'that day ' ! Lol
Miss Lucy arrived earlier than expected but all was in readiness for our day...first we did some collage...

My art lecturers from my college days would have been horrified by our use of stickers, but I know what children like! :-)

All artists should sign their work was something I always told my students, and Lucy certainly knows that...

Next we decorated some baubles to make Christmas presents for Lucy's mum, dad, little brother and friend Ruby.

We had started filling the 'take home box'...

We found some special heart stickers to make mummy's bauble...the teacher in me was impressed with Lucy's fine motor skills...


Then it was time for some play dough....
Lucy made a family of snowmen...pink and yellow...


I had showed her how to make curls with the pipe cleaner and a pencil, thinking it might be a bit tricky for her...she kept practising until her curls were just as even as mine!
We had a stop for morning tea when my neighbour and her grandson came over to visit. Then my neighbour Judy suggested that Lucy might like to see the little kittens at Judy's house...so off we went.
Lucy didn't seem to have experience with cats...so to see these kittens was a new experience.
Judy's grandson was a lovely host...

Jay showed Lucy how to tickle the sweet mother cat, Snowball, under her chin...

When we came back home, Lucy wanted to work on her snowmen and her collage...lovely independent play...
After lunch, I invited her to help me decorate the little Christmas tree that I had left until Tuesday to decorate...so we got out the box of decorations and the little step to stand on...


But then Miss Lucy found the angels in the box...and tree decorating was forgotten...

Lucy played with the angels, firstly on the window sill; then into the hallway which became an 'angel school'. Finally the game moved outside where the angels were joined by Mary and Jesus from my knitted Nativity set. I loved listening and watching Lucy while she chattered, playing the part of her characters. She did this for a good 45 minutes! 
Miss Lucy doesn't have a daytime nap but she was getting a bit weary...when I suggested story time she wasn't impressed with that. I started reading out aloud and it wasn't long before she joined me on the sofa and snuggled up while we read lots of books! 
My niece was an hour or so later than we expected coming back to collect Lucy because Max slept longer that expected.
During the day Lucy and I had called out to Eduardo but he stayed skulking under the house...as soon as the little family drove away, he emerged. 
Here he is lounging beside the basket of picture books...he had not been impressed at all with our little visitor! Lol

Later the little tree was dressed in its decorations...most of them from swaps. 


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely post Maria ,I really enjoyed reading all about Lucy.xx

creations.1 said...

What a lovely way to spend the day - Miss Lucy is very lucky to have such a patient GA. I love listening to little ones when they are deep in their play.

Maria said...

Oh Maria I loved reading your post. Lucy and you had a fabulous busy day. Maybe she didn't have a nap but I bet you needed one by the end of the day.

Susan said...

Sounds like a wonderful day...I'm sure your teacher skills helped a lot.

Helen S said...

Just lovely, Maria. Brings back memories of all the boys and makes me even more excited about what is to come. 😀 thank you!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day you shared with Lucy.

Vireya said...

Fantastic crafty day, with bonus kittens! Sounds wonderful.

margaret said...

how lovely to share your skills with sweet little Lucy, she seems so keen on the crafty makes fingers crossed she carries on into adulthood, with you as inspiration I am sure she will

Sue (this n that) said...

I got a real kick out of reading your post Maria. The simple joys of entertaining a little one. Lucy is a very lucky and loved child.
What a wonderful day you gave her - lovely activities and your full attention :D)

Cynthia said...

What a sweet little girl and you had such fun things for her to do. I do a lot of similar things with my grandsons and it's so much fun. I bet the kittens were the highlight of the day.