Search This Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Party food with a difference...

It's that time of year when the Aussie custom of 'bring a plate', reigns supreme. Through the years, stories abound of newly arrived immigrants taking the term literally and turning up at a function with just that...a plate...empty! 
Yes this time of year brings with its lots of 'get togethers' to celebrate the fact that Christmas is coming; be it workplace celebrations or groups or family and friends. And traditionally most people help by bringing some food...on a plate! Lol

On Saturday I went to one such get together and took Christmas cake and shortbread. But I'd decided to take something a little different to the gathering I was going to on Sunday morning. So on Saturday night I washed a selection of fruit...left them to dry and then put them in a container till Sunday morning...

Then Sunday morning I arranged all the fruit on plates...


The lovely blue glass cake stand that DD2 had given me for Mothers' Day this year certainly came in handy. 
Last night I realised that I had forgotten the rock melon...instead of being cut up and added to the other fruit, it languished in the crisper of the fridge! :-/

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love your cake plate, especially the color. And especially with beautiful healthy fruit on it!

Denice Barker said...

Good idea! Sometimes you get one too many cookies in ya. Here we call it "bring a dish to pass."

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious Maria. We are having our Christmas gathering at the farm in the morning and you've given me a good idea. the stone fruit is particularly good at the moment, and don't those cherries look yummy!

margaret said...

what a good idea the fruit looks delicious and mouth watering

Mizumatte said...

I love the idea of come together when everybody take something with. For my friends and me New Years Eve is a evening to do that, this Year I take the dessert and it's ... you guess right all kind of fruint. take care Jaana

Sue (this n that) said...

What a wonderful idea, looks spectacular too. Love it Maria :D)