Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saturday at Let's Get Stitched...

Another Saturday has come around and I'm only getting around to writing about the Saturday of last weekend! 
Traditionally this is a free day at a LGS weekend with the LGS dinner on the Saturday night. My lovely DH collected my roommates and I late in the morning and off we went to do some sightseeing. 
First stop was Mt Coot-tha Lookout but the view of the city was a bit hampered by haze. Normally you can see the Sandhills of the islands from the lookout. 
Next stop was the Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens for a walk around which included succulents, the tropical plants sections, including the Dome, and even a bit of the fernery. 

In the Dome which contains a collection of tropical plants we were particularly taken with this plant...
Note the berry like things growing on the branches...

This is what the label said...

Yes it is a cacao tree...chocolate! Lol.
We found an interesting chair and had to try it out. We thought it was like something you would see in Alice in Wonderland! :-)



We had a delicious lunch in the Gardens Cafe and I was pleasantly surprised! The food was great and reasonably priced! My city and I didn't know that! Lol. 
My plan was that after lunch we would visit some Northside quilt/fabric shops. Good job I checked the websites in the car...all of them closed at 1pm on a Saturday! Oh dear...a quick change of plans. We took my South Australian roommates to Redcliffe instead...and...they loved what we took them to see there.


The Bee Gees Walk! 
After a cup of coffee, DH drove us back to our hotel. Time for a rest before we headed off to dinner...and boy what a surprise that was going to be! 
Dinner was at the nearby Morrison Hotel...

An area had been set up for us...in this large room...then we noticed the wallpaper...ahem...interesting to say the least! The early comers, including myself, started taking photos....here's one of yours truly posing in front of this interesting wallpaper...
And there was an interesting table lamp in the corner...
(The 'heads' you can see are the cut outs of Sam and Robyn who couldn't attend LGS this year so the cut outs came instead)
Now we wondered whether Joy, the organiser of the event, had previously checked out this venue...this is her reaction when she saw the wallpaper...for the first time it seems, lol. 
Needless to say it will be a story that will become legendary in LGS 'folklore'. Lol
When our food arrived we discovered why the Morrison Hotel has such a wonderful reputation for its food...it was beautiful food!
My eye fillet steak with a very nice Steak Dianne Sauce...yum! 
After a great night it was time to head back to our hotel as the Sunday Stitching Day would be a big one.
Another view of THAT wallpaper! It would have been considered quite risqué at one time and it's possible that this decor was chosen to reflect the rather seedy nature of this part of town in the early years of the 20th Century. 
Some rather interesting businesses apparently operated in this part of town...cough cough! 

7 comments:

creations.1 said...

Such wonderful posts from all of the LGS weekend. A lovely day out for you and your room mates. I wonder how many people stand near the wall paper not realising what it is made up of!! Interesting how it has survived this long too!!

Christine M said...

I've been enjoying seeing everyone's photos from LGS. It sounds as you all had a wonderful time, Maria.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Looks like you ladies were having a wonderful time. The chair truly is very "interesting" :)

-Soma

Nanette said...

In my teens I was forbidden to go anywhere near the 'Gabba, probably because of those "interesting businesses'....but my girlfriend and I regularly went off on the tram for a look, probably hoping to see something...although we didn't know what! I love the outfit you're wearing for your sight-seeing day out Maria, so pretty.

doodles n daydreams said...

I'm pleased to say I know part of your town, no not Morrison's. The first time we came over on holiday we spent a couple of days in Brisbane before heading further north. We spent an afternoon at Mt Coot-tha and had a great time.
I might have to look up Morrison's next time we're over though, that food looks delish and we might even get a glimpse of the wall!! And maybe head to Redcliff and have a peep at the BeeGees walk.
I'm pleased you had a good day out with your roomies, it sounds like fun.

Diana

Marit Johanne said...

I have enjoyed to look at the posts from LGS, it looks so fun! And that wallpaper was very interesting! LOL.

Sue (this n that) said...

Another fun day for you and your friends Maria. That wallpaper is a hoot :D)