Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2016

The Chookshed Birthday Bash at Chookyblue's!

To celebrate the 4th birthday of her blog, Chookyblue has once again organised a 'virtual sew in' weekend to celebrate.
So...last night...
Taking seriously the Weather Bureau's warning that a 'severe rain event' would occur in my part of Queensland, last night I gathered in all the cushions, throws etc from the side veranda and piled them up in the dining room.
I'm glad I did as when we woke up this morning, the rain had blown in under the veranda roof right to the sliding doors. ( the chair pads/cushions that came with the chairs are waterproof, so they stayed out) 

Back to last night...I put the fringing on this knitted throw and sewed on my label...



Now with this throw, made using oddments of pinks and light blues left over from other projects, I've struck a deal...a bit of bartering no less! A friend rather liked this rug and I offered to give it to her for a price...a bag of toothbrushes and tubes of toothpaste...several of each please 😉. And of course these will go to Knitting for Brisbane's Needy for the toiletry bags the group distributes to the needy of Queensland. Win win again!
Once again I've been a bit of a maverick...knitting not sewing, but you never know what I might turn my hand to later in the weekend!

11 comments:

doodles n daydreams said...

The throw is very pretty Maria and there's nothing like a bit of old fashioned bartering to get what is needed.

Diana

Maria said...

Oh how good you put the cushions inside.....clever girl....
What a pretty throw and a win win swap too...

Cynthia said...

I would say your friend got a very good deal on that pretty throw!
I think I'm going to start calling our outdoor area the veranda. It sounds so much nicer than porch and deck!

Susan said...

it sure as wild and wooly yesterday - not fun to drive in...but at least the tanks will be full.
Great deal on the swap.

margaret said...

very nice throw and a good bit of swapping going on for it. So good you gathered all your cushions etc in prior to the rain

Lin said...

What a gorgeous throw Maria, not surprised your friend wanted it. I take it you don't usually get rain like that? We have had a very wet week but fortunately not so much as some parts of France where there has been terrible flooding. We are certainly not used to this in June. xx

Nanna Chel said...

Maria, I love the colours of your throw. We didn't get as much rain as you did and today it was drizzly and freezing all day and only 9C for much of this afternoon. Seeing as the minimum tonight is meant to be 10C it sounds like it is going to be a heatwave overnight. LOL!

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful..........great trade off.........

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Love how you incorporated that furry yarn. I made each of my nieces something like this throw when they were little. I like that barter idea. We don't see much of that around here anymore. When I used to sell at craft shows, the venders were always bartering with each other. I miss that!
xx, Carol

Raewyn said...

Inside was the best place to be, and you made good use of your time, Maria. Your knitted throw is beautiful - I'm not surprised it was snapped up by your friend - what a thoughtful swap you made.

Karen's Korner said...

What a gorgeous throw. Such pretty colours.