Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Medically speaking...

I was going to write about my recently having a Bone Density Test 6 years after my last one ( so 4 years overdue! 🙁) and despite losing height over that time, I don't have osteoporosis !! Yay!!
I was also going to write about having my hands X-rayed recently which confirmed I have rather bad osteoarthritis in my finger and thumb joints but that taking a huge glucosamine tablet each day has already made a difference. But all this pales into insignificance when I tell you about DH's latest medical adventures! 
Last Sunday he collapsed at the 18th hole of the golf course. He was whisked off to hospital in an ambulance and my lovely neighbour drove me to the hospital to meet up with him in Emergency with me phoning all the girls as we travelled along. 
Despite having a head start, he wasn't there when I arrived.  When DsD3 and I were finally called into the Resus room, we found out that his heart had stopped twice on the journey and the ambulance had to pull over while he was resuscitated. 😳😫😥
He still managed a smile for the camera!

After a while he was wheeled around to an 'Acute' treatment room and the family had to take turns with him as only 3 people allowed. That's a pretty generous allocation I thought in such a small area. 
My niece is a nurse in the Coronary Care Unit of this hospital and despite being on days off she came in. She was great; liaising with the doctors and explaining everything to DH. The doctors were of the opinion that there was a problem with 'the electrics' of DH's heart as an angiogram last year had shown no blockages or serious narrowing in the arteries. 

Finally a bed was found and DH was wheeled to the Coronary Care unit for close monitoring overnight.
Those blue paper-like curtains were there too but unlike those in Emergency these had mesh panels at the top...I do tend to notice these insignificant details 😉

Late on Monday DH was transferred to the private hospital right next door and then things started to happen! MRI in the morning and an operation in the late afternoon to fit a pacemaker. 
DsD3 and I stayed in his room while he went off to theatre...
I had my bag of 'waiting supplies'...

And some hospital cafe food for my rather late lunch at 4.30

Before DH came back from theatre the doctor assisting the cardiologist came down to explain the home monitor for the pacemaker...and this is where it gets high tech!
That gadget that looks like a mobile phone uploads the data of the past 24 hours from the pacemaker and sends it to the Server in Germany, from there this data can be accessed by the doctor. The Server can flag quickly if the pacemaker has detected a problem. The monitor just has to be within 2 metres of DH each night. The upload is programmed for between 1.30 and 2 am, and it 'works' in over 100 countries. 
So now I'll show some more 'magic', or the transformation after surgery...the pictures tell all! 
Within half an hour of returning from theatre ( because only local anesthetic and a sedative were used, DH didn't go to Recovery)...
An hour after returning from theatre...
He was typing away on Facebook despite the oxygen levels' monitor on his forefinger. 😉
And 11 hours later...dressed and ready to go home but waiting to have an echocardiogram first.

So that was Wednesday and he continues to recover and he's doing really well. 
Now frightening though this has all been, it is fortuitous that it has happened. DH collapsed while doing a brisk daily walk on Boxing Day 2014 and an angiogram showed no blockages in the heart so the doctors concluded the episode was diabetes related. But this time when his heart actually stopped beating the paramedics had it all recorded and showed that there has been a problem with arrhythmia. Suddenly the fainting spells on the toilet or when getting up during the night that have occurred over many years 'make sense'. 
Now back to Sunday...it was the 18th hole and apparently it had been a 'good day at golf' for DH. When he regained consciousness he insisted on signing his card so his friends could hand it in and I believe ' he won a ball'. Chuckles...😆

21 comments:

Claud said...

Oh Maria!I'm so glad and thankful that he has responded so well. I'm sure you are worried and relived at the same time of his condition, but please also remember to take care of you in the process. It's freezing here today, but I'm sending a big warm hug your way my friend. Love, Claud

margaret said...

what a great recovery he has made, very impressed with the pacemaker, one of my brother`s has one but it does not download, they do it when he goes for checkups and he is always surprised when they say it has activated itself as he has no idea it needed to. DH looks so well whilst waiting to go home and certainly tucked into the meal.
Maybe Richard my other brother will have one he is still in icu following his heart attack on 16 november

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Glad to hear he is doing so well after surgery.

FlowerLady

Cynthia said...

A true golfer, your hubby, to wait until he completed the 18th hole to have an emergency! So glad it all turned out well and he has his health back. I'm sure it was frightening for you, so you take it easy and relax, too , Maria.

angela said...

Well priorities must come first. Gotta hand that card in. Omg
Men really. They take too many chances with their health
Glad you have found the problem and now he can be monitored and be happy and well for a long time to come
You might need a drink or two to get over the shock thought
Take care xxx

Nanna Chel said...

What a fright for you all, Maria. I am so pleased the outcome is so good. Thankfully your hubby was able to get help quickly. Now you probably need a holiday to recover :-)

Vireya said...

Oh, Maria! How scary that must have been. I hope the pacemaker means there will be no more emergencies like that!

Best wishes to you both for a PEACEFUL Christmas and new year, with no medical interruptions.

Anonymous said...

omg Maria i am so glad that Bruce is ok and doing well now,boy what a scare for you all ,sending you both big hugs my friend xx

Jackie said...

Oh, wow! I am so glad that your Hubby has recovered and is doing well. Thank heavens the paramedics had proof that his heart stopped beating so that the cardiac doctor knew what to do. I hope he continues to get better and better.

God bless.

Susan said...

It's hard to keep a good golfer down.
I think you two have had more than your fair share of medical stories this year, so could you try to keep out of hospitals etc in 2017.
Despite us hearing all the details - like mesh tops on curtains - we would rather be hearing about finished projects and travels!!!

Lin said...

So glad all has turned out well Maria - what a magic little box that is! xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

So glad there is a happy ending to this event!! I am putting glucosamine on my grocery list. I'm starting to get lumps and twists in my fingers.
Merry Christmas
xx, Carol

Anonymous said...

Goodness me Maria. What a shock.
I am amazed with what they were able to do with modern medicine.
Stay well.


diane b said...

That must have been a worrying time for you. How lucky the paramedics kept him alive on the way to hospital. He sure did recover quickly. It is amazing what technology there is in medicine these days. I know what you have been through. My Bill had a similar event back in 2003. He had Ventricular Tachicardia and had a Implanted Cardiac defibrillator put into his chest with wires into his heart. After seven years he had it replaced because the battery was going flat. Now another seven years later he needs another replacement on his birthday in February. He also gets Atrial Fibrillation and the doctors put a mouse type object onto his chest and used a computer to change the ICD into a pacemaker.
Hope you and he are well enough to enjoy Christmas.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Very traumatic time for you all ... sending hugs 💖💖💖

Sue (this n that) said...

Goodness me Maria, what an incredible time you've both been through. These things just jump up and hit you head on don't they! However, a happy conclusion and at least some questions have been answered as you commented. All the very best and good wishes for a time of healing and relaxing in the coming weeks.
I'm slowly getting back into the swing of blogging once more - life took over and the longer away, the harder to come back but back I am and hope we can pick up where I left off.
Cheers for the Christmas period and until next time :D)

Sue (this n that) said...

p.s. it must have lifted your hearts seeing your Bill tucking into some food and a cuppa only one hour out of theatre!! xx

Kate said...

So pleased for both of you that all is well.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, how terribly frightening for you all. So pleased for you that he is back to his old humorous self. I can just imagine the relief you all feel with him being on the mend...the wonders of medicine. So happy for you that all those strange happenings through the years have been answered for you. Wishing you and your family a most wonderful Christmas...I would imagine this one will be a special one for all of you!

Mizumatte said...

so greatful for it all ended well, I surely hope next year will be wthout anything like you have had this year.take good care of you both. Merry Christmas Maria all the way from Sweden/Jaana

Chookyblue...... said...

glad everything is going ok........such a huge worry.........